Tuesday, March 8, 2011

And....I'm Back...

Hi Friends!

It's late, 9ish out here in the Golden State...That being said, I am having a nice cocktail, rather than my normal coffee. I am however, still sitting at my kitchen table.

I've been away from the computer for several weeks, and I'm sure you're wondering what's been keeping my interest these days. I'm going to tell you. I discovered the wonderful world of Craigslist. I'm a bona fide, dyed in the wool addict. While my husband was out of town for work in January (the longest two weeks of my life since The Boy came into our lives), our son took his 1st steps. It wasn't the take off and run I was expecting. He took three steps, looked at me, and went back to crawling. I knew he was going to be in the Boston Marathon by the end of the week. I had my plane ticket booked to Bean Town, my chic clothing picked out...my map of the city, OK. So it was all in my head. A girl can dream right?

Plans had been in the works for several months to turn our useless den/office room into a playroom for our son. I say in the works, but that means, at our home, the talking stage. Discussed randomly over a meal, in bed at night, over a beer at our counter after our boy is in bed...That's the stage it had remained in. I skyped with my husband that evening, after I canceled the plane tickets to Boston, and he said "we need to make a move on the playroom". And that's all it took. I looked at our meager budget, and realized, I can't do a BBQ on this budget. Where am I going to get the money for this room? If you know me, I love to plan and decorate a room. And I'm good at it, in my humble opinion...

Back to my Taco Bell budget. I looked around the house at the mountain of crap we don't use. We have moved 3000+ miles across the country and three houses in the Golden State...Why? Why do I have all this crap? I started to sound like George Carlin...Armed with my pink digital camera, my bff to watch my son, I started picking. You know, American Pickers style. In a matter of five days, I had sold off enough junk to fund the playroom in a very nice fashion.

Let me tell you about Craigslist. I love it. I mentioned that. What I didn't mention is, meeting the people you are buying from or selling to, is half the fun! I love people. I love to people watch, I love to see people interact, I love to talk to people. I'm always getting people's life story (I believe I mentioned the old lady from Nashville, TN at the mani/pedi day, and the two Hell's Angels in the Savemart). Anyhoo, I enjoy Craigslist.

The playroom is still a work in progress. I spent my budget on the important things, have since picked up a set of used tables from a friend for a song, and a TV armoire (yes, that was a Craigslist gem). I have a lot of projects going on right now...I'll update with a new blog and some pics as I go...

What you'll have to look forward to this month: My hand-sewn diaper bag, my throw pillows for my couch, my knitted slipper socks, and the playroom!

Thanks for having a cocktail with me friends...

Talk to you soon!

PS: Has anyone in CA heard the new song Mr Bartender on KJUG? It is ah-mazing. Puts me in the soup kinda like old Conway Twitty does...If your not from the East side of the Ol Mississippi River, then you won't know what I mean by in the soup...

No comments:

Post a Comment